Re: The OpenOffice FUD Campaign has Begun

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> __/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Wednesday 08 March 2006 11:16 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>>

>>> The site is not gone. It is temporarily unavailable due to heavy
>>> load.
>>>
>>> As regards your work habits, which involve the use of paper (it was
>>> me who called it an old-fashioned methodology by the way), I have no
>>> problem with that. I merely try to make constructive suggestions,
>>> but I know too well that the old generation is tougher to bend. My
>>> dad has had the Palm in the cradle for over a year and he is still
>>> reluctant to master it. He want to, but he won't do it.
>>>
>> It is not always a case of older generations not being comfortable
>> with technology.
>>
>> I tend to save stuff in paper archives because it is easier to refer
>> to. I started doing that when I only had a single computer, and
>> having a webpage or text file open with instructions and whatever I
>> was working on as well was awkward.  I'd have to keep swapping
>> windows (or sessions), first reading what needed doing, then switch
>> over and make the change. Often switching back and forth several
>> times checking before committing the change.
>>
>> Even now with four PCs in the house, I find it easier to have the
>> instructions there in front of me, maybe I can move my eyes faster
>> than the computer can switch windows :)
>>
>> <snip>
>

> Consider a dual-head display or use virtual desktops with keybindings.
> <Ctrl>+1 for desktop 1, <Ctrl>+2> for desktop 2 and so forth. The
> change is immediate as the complete frame buffer should be stored in
> RAM. It takes a few hours to get the new habit going, but you will
> soon see what I mean. Multiple computers are /never/ the solution. The
> environment is 'fragmented'.

a dual head display would work, switching desktops wouldn't.  there is a
separation when switching between desktops, you can't just glance back to
the instructions to double check what you've just typed in.

As for multiple computers, that would work if the displays for them were
all in the same room.

>>> When you find yourself surrounded by heaps of papers and folder, you
>>> will realise why paper can never be properly organised. It has a
>>> limit impose on /depth/.
>>
>> When you find yourself looking at a pc that won't boot, with help on
>> fixing it on the hard drive, you'll realise that paper does have some
>> advantages. :)
>

> Paper is /more/ volatile.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're gettign at here.

> I keep saying that to my dad. Electronic
> data is duplicable. Versioning is easier too.

Paper data is duplicable too, though I never need more than one copy of
it anyway, which neatly takes care of versioning too.

You see, most of the stuff I have in a binder originally came from the
computer, either from websites or from text files I create when I come
across a command or tool I think I may find useful.  So I get all the
benefits of electronic information, plus the advantage of having a hard
copy to refer to when it's more convenient to do so.

> I keep my hard-drive
> mirrored in 3 sites and only 2 hours ago I went to the shop and bought
> a 300GB external hard-drive. Connected it to SuSE for the first time
> and ka-boom! New icon which corresponds to 300GB on my desktop. What
> the heck will I accommodate it with...? *smile*

But that is not an argument against keeping paper versions of
information.  I need to upgrade my hard drives too, I have a Media
machine which acts pretty much like a tivo, currently it has 500gb made
up of two 250gb drives, both more than 80% full.  Soon I'll need to
decide what programmes I want to keep and clear some space, or buy
another couple of drives.

>>> In my Department, I was among the first people to
>>> make an open statement against use of paper, so I still live a
>>> paperless life. To compensate for inevitable and
>>> frustratingly-important paperwork, I use the scanner to digitise.
>>> Digitisation in general is an aspect that intrigues me and I
>>> recently scanned all my photo albums. In fact, your recent question
>>> as regards pets had me aware of the fact that I had never posted a
>>> picture of my dog anywhere. I did so on that same afternoon, by
>>> pulling old digitised albums
>>> (http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/03/04/jenny-the-dog/ ).
>>>
>> I have some photos online, mainly so members of my family can access
>> them, but I still like real photos in frames around the house.  Maybe
>> I could replace those frames with LCD panels and display digital
>> pictures, but the cost and hassle puts me off.
>

> ...Seen that done a few days ago:
>
> http://www.alexking.org/blog/2006/01/26/digital-photo-frame/

Interesting, but I was thinking more of a 6x4 sized frame.  I wonder how
much quarter vga lcds cost now?