Re: How long before Linux runs on it?

__/ [ Jim Richardson ] on Friday 10 March 2006 00:23 \__

> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 16:35:23 +0000,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> __/ [ Richard G. Riley ] on Thursday 09 March 2006 16:15 \__
>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4789496.stm
>>>
>>> MS reveals new mini-pc device.
>>>
>>> X Windows running on it in 3 months, PIM management working 3 months
>>> after that?
>>>
>>> It will be interesting too who buys this.
>>
>> The Nokia 770 has been available for almost a year. It is a big seller
>> which recently had VoIP added (links on demand). This morning I exchanged
>> notes with someone who had apparently ported Tunpaint to the Nokia. It's
>> Debian-based, so should be rather rich in terms of the freely-available
>> applications. Oh! And it's half the price of the Origami. *smile*
>>

> it's a *third* of the price of the origami, and smaller (and less
> storage, etc)
>
> I love my 770, I'd be interested in the origami hw, but not the OS :)

Screen resolution may be superior, but on a display that size, not many will
be able to take advantage of high pixel density. The screen as a whole is
bigger too, let's not forget, because the unit is much larger than the 770.

As for processing power, is it truly needed? Sure, Windows XP needs some
power because it's a hog.

,----[ Snippet ]
`----

Source: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/index.php?p=459

>> Microsoft advocates themselves are making fun of the blog-generated hype
>> over the Origami. It is no iPod killer. It is no killer at all. It's
>> over-hyped, over-advertised DoA.
>
> It's a bit largish, almost as big as a laptop, too big for a pocket, but
> fine for a briefcase, etc. Awkward to hold in one hand, and use with the
> other though. I suspect it will fare poorly, a little too costly, and a
> little too big.

A /little/ too big? Imagine switching on the 'beast' only to write two-word
reminder+alarm. The Origami misses out the issue of practicality _entirely_.
I can do that just fine with a Tungsten, within 2 seconds. I don't have to
carry a 'man purse' either. A Tungsten fits in the shirt's pocket and, when
needed, a folding keyboard can be pulled out of the other pocket.

I am yet to find LifeDrive and Tablet PC users who actually get some work
done, rather than stare at a brightly-lit screen, watching menus animate.