Re: More tales of a system twonk

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 10:08:41 +0000,

> __/ [ Jim Richardson ] on Saturday 11 March 2006 09:23 \__
>
>> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 06:37:44 +0000,
>>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> __/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Saturday 11 March 2006 04:05 \__

>>> For what it's worth, here is my super-complicated backup 'package'.
>>>
>>> On the receiving end:
>>>
>>> mkdir /home/roy/BU/Filestore/<machine_name>/Backup-`date +%Y-%m-%d`
>>>
>>> On the sending end:
>>>
>>> nice scp -r ~/.[0-z]* ~/*
>>>
> roy@<destination_address>:/home/roy/BU/Filestore/<machine_name>/Backup-`date
>>> +%Y-%m-%d`
>>>
>>> This keeps a _stack_ of backups, just in case of data loss (e.g. user
>>> erases a file by accident only to realise it months later).
>>>

>> Allow me to introduce you to a tool called rdiff-backup. Does exactly
>> that, over rsync, so you don't dedicate a lot more storage than the raw
>> files take.
>
> I am aware of rsync, but I have plenty of bandwidth and storage capacity to
> spare. It leads to simplicity at the expense of efficiency.
>
> Thanks for the advice, Jim. I'll consider improving. *smile*

it's a lot more than just rsync, it does a diff backup of a dir,
(recursively) and puts the latest versions of the files in the backup
dir, and diffs them, to previous versions, said diffs are then placed in
a dir called rdiff-backup in the backup dir, and you can easily access
them from the cli, or other tools.

It's really a python wrapper around rsync. Quite useful :)

	Don't get mad, get Linux