Re: KUbuntu Issue

__/ [ M ] on Friday 17 March 2006 18:53 \__

> <snip />
>
> You can have moving ('active') wallpapers on 'other operating system'
> something my other half did until I told her to knock it on the head. It
> had the effect of running the CPU at 100% rendering the PC useless if you
> wanted to do anything other than look at the wallpaper.
>

> Regards,

Active Desktops in Windows go back to Windows 95, I believe (maybe 98). They
have always been a resource hog. You could argue that translucency,
revolving desktops and the like have been possible for decades, but without
hardware (or cunning architectural considerations) to support it, this
becomes unfruitful and soon abandoned. Then you have projects like Metisse
that add nothing to user experience. It's when pragmatism becomes a
game/play.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
  6:50pm  up 9 days 11:27,  8 users,  load average: 0.81, 0.80, 0.65