Re: Help on restore, my palm drowned........

__/ [ Jakob ] on Wednesday 22 March 2006 12:25 \__

> In article <dvrfbp$1nqq$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> says...
>
> Thanks for quick response i REALLY appreciate it :0).
>
>> One  device  for  storage is never enough to defend  you  from  hard-drive
>> crashes and uncalled for physical errors like bad sectors.
>
> Seems like a very good idea, but what should i copy do i have all
> crucial data if i copy the palmdesktop installation folder ? Or is there
> a lot of user profiles stored otherwhere

I was hesitant. The last version of Windows which I was regularly
synchronising with was 98. It did not have the user levelling and
hierarchical separation to profiles and I assume Palm make it possible to
have separate stacks of user profiles for the same installation of Palm
Desktops. The way this was handled in the past was fragmentation to multiple
directories under the Palm Desktop installation directory.

>> You can restore all your data and access it from newer models of the Palm,
>> quite  seamlessly so. Palm handhelds are quite backward-compatible.  Think
>> of  this is a blessing. You will have a device upgrade without any loss of
>> data.  I  suggest you go to the shop to get a Palm handheld or get a  unit
>> second-hand.  To use some sarcasm, you old model just wanted to take a fi-
>> nal shower, so it left its data behind and took a suicidal dive.
>
> He he well i wanted a new one for a while but it comes at a bad time
> :0), second hand is the way to go i think do you know if clie would work
> just as well regarding a restore. I have my doubts about all this
> software on the clie that cant be removed.

A Clie would be fine (if not better). I bought my brand new Tungsten off eBay
in 2004. Quite a bargain if you can find it.

>> What  operating system are you using?
>
> XP.
>
>> lot,  .gpilot on your home directory. I can't recall where data resides on
>> the Mac. In Windows, have a look under your Palm installation directory. I
>> am not sure about multi-user versions of Windows, but data usually resides
>> in c:\progra~1\palm .
>
> Ahh ok thanks i will backup that folder right away.

As long as you hold the PDB in question, knock yourself out. The data will
not go away.

>> To  restore data you will just need to synchronise your new handheld  with
>> the  same  profile  as before. If not, you may need to 'inject'  the  data
>> (.PDF file) onto your newly-created profile directory (return here for in-
>> structions).
>>
>> Again,  panic  not!  Just make sure you duplicate your Palm  data  on  the
>> hard-drive. Mirroring lets you sleep better. *Smile*
>
> Thanks its schocking to realise how dependent one gets of small gadgets
> like that :0)

My Palm is my brain. I never want to lose my brain because I only have one. I
have my Palm data on 3 separate hard-drives (different sites), as well as
some protected Webspace and 2 SD cards! *smile*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: ~70% of organisms are bacteria
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  2:25pm  up 14 days  7:02,  8 users,  load average: 2.59, 2.40, 1.84