Re: Linux on the Origami Ultra-Mobile PC?

  • Subject: Re: Linux on the Origami Ultra-Mobile PC?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:47:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 22 March 2006 16:21 \__

http://www.umpcorigami.com/news/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4

>>> Shame... I would have bought one.
>>

>> I saw it in some reliable sites yesterday, so I have a good reason to
>> suspect it was not a prank. Needless to mention, the source I originally
>> cited was not prominent enough to be convincing.
>>

> Samsung will realise that there's money to be made selling it for £100
> cheaper without an OS, or sporting just Linux.  With its GPS, bluetooth
> & wifi, it will make a good telephony terminal, assuming that there's
> adequate audio capability on it.
>
> This would also be good for schools, I think, running a free OS.

Something as such was recently unveiled at CeBit, but it was /far/ lighter
(no need for a 'man's purse') and /far/ cheaper.

Even if Samsung made the expensive beast Penguin-driven, they would have some
tough competition. Dimensions and productions cost would not work in their
advantage. Just imagine that I gave up on laptops due to PDA's. _Pragmatism_
is key, not size and level brightness (battery drain).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    No SCO code was used to generate this sig
  4:45pm  up 14 days  9:22,  8 users,  load average: 1.18, 1.02, 0.75