Re: Low-latency audio on Linux

  • Subject: Re: Low-latency audio on Linux
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:25:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ thorne25@xxxxxxxx ] on Monday 13 March 2006 17:19 \__
>

>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> __/ [ TheLetterK ] on Saturday 11 March 2006 03:29 \__

>>> I heard that audio latency is one of the aspects that will be 'improved'
>>> in Windows Vista (honestly!), which implies that something has been wrong
>>> with that aspect of the O/S for over a decade.
>>
>> Hmm... hard disk latency has improved a lot over the years... I guess
>> that means HD drives have had something wrong with them for the last
>> 20-30 years, huh?
>
> See my last answer to "OK" (the poster). Microsoft themselves have admitted
> flaws in their audio stack implementation, as well as accompanying
> utilities. I am not making this up. Vista will apparently compensate for the
> flaws.

I'm sure Microsoft are saying that, but then, they've been saying all
kinds of other things too.

What's really going on here is that most of their original promises for
vista have proven to be just fresh-air, so they're trying to find any
kind of win that they can.  Perhaps they can appeal to avid games
players, or for that matter, embedded users, by improving some
lower-level aspects of their enormous code-base;  will they /really/ do
it?  Usually they don't, they just put a new front-end on the existing
code and carry on.

I'm not afraid of death -- I just don't want to be there when it happens.
		-- Woody Allen