Re: Novell's Messman: Only 2 Distros Will Survive

__/ [ rapskat ] on Thursday 23 March 2006 04:48 \__

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 03:12:15 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>> What's he talking about 3 to 5 years?  There are only two major
>>> commercial suppliers of Linux/OSS distros now, Novell and Red Hat.
>>

>> Salesmen's pitch.
>
> What's that mean?
>
>>> Mandriva is too flaky to be considered, and the rest are too small
>>> and/or specialized.
>>

>> Does it mean that they do not deserve a place in the market?
>
> Is that what I said?
>
>> Does it mean that their use should never be encouraged?
>
> Did I somehow convey that opinion?
>
>> You know, a Bentley might be a fine car, but not everyone drives a
>> Bentley. It is not only a matter of cost. Certain people ride on rough
>> terrains and people's taste differs. Moreover, choice is what makes us
>> unique and often happier. The ability to distinguish oneself is more
>> important than imagined.
>
> You are reading more into what I wrote than what was intended.  I didn't
> by any means mean to say that the others shouldn't exist or don't have
> their own places.

There was a mutual misunderstanding here. I was not directing my questions at
yourself. They were either directed at Messman who made an unnecessary
statement or were just a hypothetical monologue.

> All I was stating was the plainly obvious fact that in terms of scope and
> size, Novell and Red Hat are the two most prominent commercial linux/oss
> vendors at present.

Yes, I know. There was room for misinterpretation. Sorry about that, mate.

>> Also see:
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/f/rm/choice_small.ram (streaming Real, about 2
>> mins)
>>
>> Red Hat talk about choice, but if any of the large vendors was to rob us
>> from the ability to enjoy diversity, they would be crucified. I thought
>> we had learned the lesson from Apple and Microsoft. Choice, not
>> capitalisation.
>
> Agreed, and this is what I've always stated.  However the article wasn't
> about "choice", it was about the current leaders for commercial distros.
>
> I hope that there will always be several commercial and community distros
> to choose from, all meeting the needs of various niches.  However, there
> will always be those "super predators" that rise up and attempt to be all
> things to all people.  These will be the ones that people notice and
> purchase merely based on name recognition alone, especially businesses.

They have investors. Look at Google after the IPO. I perceive them as
somewhat evil for a whole variety of reason. To name one among very many
(for brevity): political censorship.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
  6:15am  up 14 days 22:52,  8 users,  load average: 0.90, 0.86, 0.89