Re: Red Hat Promises User-friendly Feel

__/ [ Ian Semmel ] on Thursday 23 March 2006 05:33 \__

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 03:08:56 +1000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/3703/0/
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> |
>> | - Tomboy, an easy-to-use and efficient note-taking tool;
>> |
>> | - F-Spot an easy to use digital photograph manager;
>> |
>> | - Improved power management with GNOME Power Manager;
>> |
>> | - Support for the Broadcom 43xx wireless chipsets, currently used
>> |   in Apple computers;
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> `----
>
> "User-friendly?"
>
> This is going to pose a conundrum for the "we don't want no stinkin' gui"
> crowd who have criticized those who have advocated this for linux.
>
> I mean, some of those dumbass windows users might start using linux.
>
> We couldn't have that now, could we.

I think that a statement like "We promise user-friendly feel" entails a false
implication which is "Linux is not yet user-friendly yet". For that I am not
too keen on Red Hat's 'promise'. It is of course utter BS.

Is Ubuntu, for instance, not user-friendly? 10-minute installation with
Wi-Fi, Ethernet, video card probing and plenty of software not good enough?
A fully-automated patching with a simplified GNOME UI? What else can one ask
for?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Falsity implies anything
  6:20am  up 14 days 22:57,  8 users,  load average: 0.72, 0.71, 0.80