Re: Forbes Columnist: Vista Not 'People Ready'

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The new version of Microsoft Windows, called Vista, has slipped again.
> | It was originally going to ship in 2003. Then 2005. Then 2006. Now in
> | early 2007. I'm not surprised, having seen a demo of Microsoft's new
> | programs at an "event" for tech buyers in New York last week.
> `----
>
> http://www.forbes.com/2006/03/22/vista-microsoft-ballmer_cz_dl_0322microsoft.html?partner=links

More quotes:

   "The new programs are phenomenally complex, with scores of buttons
   and pull-down menus and myriad connections among various
   applications."

   . . .

   "Meanwhile, 500 tech buyers sat there in the dark, their eyes glazing
   over from the sheer mind-numbing pointlessness of most of this stuff.
   The audience laughed out loud when the Microsoft guy showed off a
   kludgey system that lets you fetch Outlook e-mail messages using
   voice commands from a cell phone."

   . . .

   "And then there were the hacks. The press folks. Corralled down in
   back. Some were just talking out loud during Steve Ballmer's keynote
   speech, not even bothering to keep their voices down. Yeah. It was
   that kind of show.

   Worse yet was the grumbling afterward in the press room. Why the hell
   did they drag us here? we wondered. We'd been promised big news and
   some earth-shattering announcements by Microsoft flacks who insisted
   this was something we shouldn't miss. Instead, we got a demo that was
   about as compelling as a root canal followed by a 15-minute press
   conference with Ballmer, the Microsoft chief executive who seems
   incapable of speaking at any level softer than a bellow. Ballmer took
   a few potshots at IBM (nyse: IBM - news - people ), claiming the
   computer giant doesn't innovate anymore."

   . . .

   "Worst of all, I can't believe Microsoft actually held this big
   nonevent "event" only a few days before announcing another screw-up
   in Vista. If Ballmer knew he was about to announce a delay and still
   had this event, he's crazy. If he didn't know Vista was about to slip
   again, then Microsoft is in worse shape than anyone realizes."

I wonder if Grug was at that demo, rah-rah'ing like tab on an acid tab?

They've got an old picture of Ballmer accompanying that article.  He
actually looks upbeat in it.

--
Q:  Why does a GNU/Linux user compile his kernel?
A:  Because he can.