Re: Mozilla Lightning Screenshots

__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Thursday 23 March 2006 21:34 \__

> Gordon wrote:

>> > If you seriously think a strictly client side calendar competes with
>> > outlook/exchange,  you're sadly mistaken and completely unaware of what
>> > it is that makes Outlook and Exchange so popular.
>>
>> The point is it's NOT just a "client side" calendar - it can be used very
>> effectively on a network. AND, the client has some functions that Outlook
>> does not in that you can view all events, all future events, or events in
>> the next 7/14/31 days as a list above the calender pane. Outlook doesn't
>> do that and is a pain (sic) to read because of it.
>
> I've been a Lotus Notes user the last several years ( worked for Ray
> Ozzie at last job who developed Notes ) but one thing that Outlook
> users have told me that works great is synching with PDAs.
>
> You add a calendar entry in your PDA and it synchs to Outlook and
> everyone else can see your new schedule (assuming it wasn't private of
> course.) Or if you're on the road and a meeting gets re-scheduled, as
> soon as you start your PDA and connect to the web at the airport it
> synchronizes itself and everything automatically appears in your PDA
> and on everyone elses schedule. These are the types of features that
> Lightening is going to have to support.

Thunderbird (Netscape Mail derivative) has been synchronising with Palm PDA
for quite a while. I have been getting personal E-mail about it as many
people migrate to Thunderbird nowadays. The Palm newsgroups continue to be
filled with people whose Outlook cannot work properly with their handheld.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
  9:45pm  up 15 days 14:22,  9 users,  load average: 0.74, 0.54, 0.59