Re: Mozilla Lightning Screenshots

 "Roy"posted the following on 2006-03-23:

> __/ [ Erik Funkenbusch ] on Thursday 23 March 2006 21:07 \__
>
>> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:01:56 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Calendaring from Mozilla. Not third parties and no Sunbird. Outlook
>>> becomes even more obsolete (setting aside Evolution and KOrganiser).
>>>
>>> http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=599&slide=23
>>
>> If you seriously think a strictly client side calendar competes with
>> outlook/exchange,  you're sadly mistaken and completely unaware of what it
>> is that makes Outlook and Exchange so popular.
>
> I know what makes them *un*popular: my supervisor's secretary attempting to
> send me contacts via an Exchange server. The combination is a joke, which
> spits at standardised protocols and makes an attempt at yet another
> lockin^TM. Eventually, the secretary is forced to copy and paste
> field-by-field onto word and then send me an RTF file, saved in word as an
> E-mail attachment. Now, if only she had used VCF... same goes for exchanges
> of appointment data.
>
> Thanks for the chuckle, dude.

Come on Roy, you're better than that. The desktop needed a competitor
to Outlook 8 years ago : not some half assed too late addition to a
browser that is not integrated with the other desktop utilities.

I use evolution : I wanted to use Mutt - but guess what? No address
book : old style aliases. Useless in a real world desktop environment.

BTW : I like evolution - especially when I got multisync working with
my mobile over bluetooth.

--
"A desk is a dangerous place from which to view the world" - LeCarre.