Re: Mozilla Lightning Screenshots

  • Subject: Re: Mozilla Lightning Screenshots
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 23 Mar 2006 14:04:37 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Thursday 23 March 2006 21:34 \__
>

> > Gordon wrote:

> >> The point is it's NOT just a "client side" calendar - it can be used very
> >> effectively on a network. AND, the client has some functions that Outlook
> >> does not in that you can view all events, all future events, or events in
> >> the next 7/14/31 days as a list above the calender pane. Outlook doesn't
> >> do that and is a pain (sic) to read because of it.
> >
> > I've been a Lotus Notes user the last several years ( worked for Ray
> > Ozzie at last job who developed Notes ) but one thing that Outlook
> > users have told me that works great is synching with PDAs.
> >
> > You add a calendar entry in your PDA and it synchs to Outlook and
> > everyone else can see your new schedule (assuming it wasn't private of
> > course.) Or if you're on the road and a meeting gets re-scheduled, as
> > soon as you start your PDA and connect to the web at the airport it
> > synchronizes itself and everything automatically appears in your PDA
> > and on everyone elses schedule. These are the types of features that
> > Lightening is going to have to support.
>
> Thunderbird (Netscape Mail derivative) has been synchronising with Palm PDA
> for quite a while. I have been getting personal E-mail about it as many
> people migrate to Thunderbird nowadays. The Palm newsgroups continue to be
> filled with people whose Outlook cannot work properly with their handheld.

Correct, but that's the mail part. The link Gordon provided (thanks
BTW... ) relates to the calendar/scheduling part of the product which
is what the Ligntning screenshots are all about. From the link it looks
like this is being worked on but is still in the planning stage.

Synchronizing mail is one thing but synching calendars is a bit more
complicated. Mail is essentially a one-to-one mapping in that you only
need to synchronize against a single email account. You can have
multiple email accounts but they are all essentially independent.

Scheduling is a bit more interesting mainly because you're now dealing
with synchronizing multiple people and multiple schedules and the
possibility of conflicts has now been introduced. It can certainly be
done (ala CVS) but there are still significant differences between this
and email synching and how conflicts are handled/resolved in something
like CVS mainly because of the type of user involved.