Can't use `\spacefactor' in vertical mode

Greetings, group. A confernece has provided everyone with a template that
does not seem to work with my LaTeX installation, not even the example TeX
file. When running pdflatex, I get the following for each occurence of
citation in the text:

,----[ Quote ]
| ! You can't use `\spacefactor' in vertical mode.
| \@cite ...r \ifx \@tempa \@zero@skip \spacefactor
|                                                 1001 \fi \par \ifnum
| \spac...
| l.124 ...ist of references: Journal~\cite{bulpitt}
`----

The corresponding file called cite.sty contains:

,----[  ]
| \def\@cite#1#2{\leavevmode
|
|   \@tempskipa\lastskip \edef\@tempa{\the\@tempskipa}\unskip
|
|   \ifnum\lastpenalty=\z@ \penalty\@highpenalty \fi
|
|  \ifx\@tempa\@zero@skip \spacefactor1001 \fi % if no space before, set flag
|
|   \ifnum\spacefactor>\@m \ \else \hskip\@tempskipa \fi
|
|   \citeleft{#1\if@tempswa \citemid #2\fi
|
|   \spacefactor\@m % punctuation in note doesn't affect outside
|
|   }\citeright}
|
| \edef\@zero@skip{\the\z@skip}
`----

I am not too good with raw LaTeX, so could somebody please assist? I have
tried many things already, all in vain.

Many thanks in advance,