Re: Analogs of Palm Software

  • Subject: Re: Analogs of Palm Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:57:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
__/ [ Steve Hodgson ] on Saturday 25 March 2006 13:56 \__

> On 2006-03-25 04:53:05 +0000, casioculture@xxxxxxxxx said:
>

>> Steve Hodgson wrote:
>>> I can't quite believe it. I have finally been driven to think seriously
>>> about switching to Windows Mobile i.e. picking up an iPaq 4700 while
>>> they are still around. What has pissed me off is the lack of any active
>>> development and the lack of a solution to a conduit problem.
>>>
>>> Has anyone ever created a lookup table showing equivalent software
>>> packages for the more common Palm applications? Something similar to
>>> the 'Analogs of Windows software in Linux' website.
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>>> The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
>>> Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk
>>
>> I'm back to palm after two years in pocketpc land. Why do you want to
>> switch?
>
> Having a permanently broken Outlook Calendar conduit is a fairly large
> part of it. The fact that the past efforts of me, Palm knowledge base
> and a move to Chapura have been unable to fix this says that the days
> of the Zen of Palm are over.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6053600.html

I think the figures disagree with that assessment. Moreover, Palm have just
switched to a Linux kernel, which explains the delay in introduction of new
features. Be patient and great things will come your way.

Also see:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/28/palm-strong-in-the-lead/

Don't let the FUD get to you.

> The other discovery that really surprised and disappointed me was lack
> of Unicode support in applications such as Contacts.

Unicode is a problem indeed. Linux handles unicode 'out of the box' so it
will soon be a negligible factor.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall SuSE to figure out the magic
  5:50pm  up 17 days  8:35,  8 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.45, 0.61