Re: Why dissing MS is good Linux advocacy

__/ [ Tim Smith ] on Saturday 25 March 2006 20:20 \__

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/story/0,10801,109807,00.h
>> tml
>>
>> "According to IT services provider, Unisys, open source software is set to
>> have a similar impact on the marketplace as the internet did in the
>> 1990s."
>>
>> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/3625/53/
>
> When my job involved writing software that would be sold in stores,
> every time a customer called our toll-free number for support, we lost
> money.  There was a strong incentive to minimize support calls, and the
> way to do that was to make the software as good as we could.
>
> Doesn't "the software is free--you pay for the support" turn the
> incentives around, and make it bad for the developer to produce high
> quality code?
>
> Developing a working free software economy is a lot more complex than
> just charging for support.

No quality, no downloads. It's as simple as that. No downloads, no support
needs; no paid contracts for self-tailored extensions. That's that way it
works at WordPress, for instance.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  8:20pm  up 17 days 11:05,  10 users,  load average: 0.55, 0.46, 0.54