Re: Keywords in parameters

__/ [ Gerhard Buergmann ] on Monday 27 March 2006 12:00 \__

> Let's assume I sell cars.
> Important keywords in the URL are good:
>
> e.g. http://www.example.com/chrysler-voyager.html
>
> But what's about keywords in parameters:
>
> e.g. http://www.example.com/car.php?xx=chrysler&yy=voyager
>
> Is it the same as http://www.example.com/car.php?carid=123 or better?
>
> Yes I know, there is mod_rewrite. But I don't have it.
>
> Thanks,
> Gerhard

In my opinion, the former is better. I am assuming you separate the keywords
with non-indexable symbols (e.g. "=" and "&"), which act as
separators/delimiters. I believe that search engines make little or no
attempt to break the URL to its constituent structures (maybe, just *maybe*
with the exception of domain name). It is otherwise discriminative to the
platform/CMS. Owing to mod_rewrite's (and equivalents), the URL structure
has little correlation to to underlying structure. It is not indicative of
*depth*.

Hope it helps, (it's just an opinion, bear in mind)

Roy S. Schestowitz
 12:00pm  up 19 days  1:45,  8 users,  load average: 0.95, 1.12, 1.03