Re: MS "Advice" for IE holes

  • Subject: Re: MS "Advice" for IE holes
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:13:27 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Tuesday 28 March 2006 09:59 \__

> BearItAll wrote:
>
>> Gordon wrote:
>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4849904.stm
>>>
>>> "To avoid falling victim, Microsoft urged users to avoid websites they
>>> did not trust and to refrain from opening attachments on e-mail messages
>>> from unknown senders. "
>>>
>>> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>>
>>> Windows dummies! They should be doing that as a matter of course!
>>>

>> Ok, good advice, MS Win users have to avoid 99.99% of the Internet leaving
>> them with a couple of sites that they use regularly.
>
> Good. What happens when some of those are hacked?
> Rely on Edwins psychic capabilities to know it in advance?
> Rely on the (non-working) "heuristics" of AV software?
>
> Lets face it: MS software is broken, and using it on the internet should be
> declared a crime

As long as it remains a vast majority, it is difficult to make this policy a
reality. Here at the University we penalise students (financially) for
repeated virus infections (both for damages and IT staff labour).

In a more stabilised and balanced environment, on the other hand -- one which
involves less than the current 75-80% Windows, I can envision networks that
will not permit the use of Windows. It puts the network in jeopardy, floods
it with packets (log noise, DDOS attacks, spam) and thus increases
involvement of network maintenance.

Attempts to illegalise use of Windows is like attempts to put an end to
smoking. Everyone (in governance) knows it is harmful, but not everyone
honours the warnings.

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/11/21/windows-is-smoking/

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
 10:05am  up 19 days 23:50,  8 users,  load average: 0.55, 0.74, 0.72