Re: 10-headed Linux Setup Saves Libraries

__/ [ ray ] on Tuesday 28 March 2006 16:59 \__

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 05:42:16 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> http://www.cio.com/archive/031506/tl_library.html
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | That was before Richmond implemented DiscoverStation, offered by
>> | Calgary, Canada-based Userful. DiscoverStation uses one Linux desktop
>> | to power up to 10 workstations, leaving only monitors, keyboards,
>> | floppy drives and mice subject to public torture.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://www.cio.com/archive/031506/tl_library.html
>
> We're due to have one of their four head systems installed at the Portneuf
> District Library in Idaho. This follows on the successful deployment of
> Mandrake Linux on the public access internet computers last year - a VERY
> successful deployment, I might add. No complaints in over a year, and a
> recent customer satisfaction survey showed universal acceptance and
> revealed that several patrons were unaware they were not running MS.
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is this /truly/ the test for success? It leaves me with a bad taste in the
mouth.

Here at the Student Halls we deployed Windows terminals to handle the simple
task of running a browser with a Web form to serve as a communication
gateway. Needless to mention, the machines crash quite often (leading to
plenty of trouble as they only get manned the following day) and are a pain
to maintain (updates, cleanups and other types of drek on a platter).

__/ [ Gordon ] added on Tuesday 28 March 2006 17:15 \__

> I've said and noticed this many times. It's just another nail in the
> wintrolls coffin that say Linux is not ready for the desktop.
> Of course they'll say it's all lies......

Precisely. Such success stories must be echoed rather than have success be
taken for granted. Look how a state of quiet existence leads Windows
advocates in this group to suggesting a failure (notably Munich and academic
institutes). Google mention nothing about their stock of Debian-type boxes.
It's irrelevant. They just handle the workload.

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/12/08/quiet-positive-sign/

Quiet is a positive sign.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  6:05pm  up 20 days  7:50,  8 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.49, 0.66