Re: KDE suite falling short for professional users

  • Subject: Re: KDE suite falling short for professional users
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:22:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [ jabrooksr@xxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 29 March 2006 04:42 \__

> love Linux.  Running several versions of SuSE and currently on 10.0,
> I've become a real Linux advocate and would love to see the "masses"
> convert to this superior system.  However, as a former power user of MS
> Outlook, KDE is still falling short of offering an integrated mail,
> contact and calendar system that suits the needs of most professional
> users.
>
> There appears no way to cleanly convert Outlook addresses to CSV to
> Kontact.  KDE provides the utility and functionality but it just plain
> doesn't work. Small, but important tasks such as adding calendar
> entries from services like EBAY to the KDE calendar do not work.  These
> small glitches and inconveniences create frustrations that cause users
> to 'settle' for MS.
>
> Though to developers and hackers, these may seem like small and
> unimportant issues, to folks who depend on the desktop for general
> business and organizational functions, convenience, functionality  and
> ease of use can make or entirely break an application.
>
> I want to see KDE and other environments developed for open
> environments succeed.  However, we're not there now.

Have you considered the products from Mozilla (it's now a foundation so I can
probably say "products")? Personally. I moved from that KDE 'umbrella' to
Thunderbird a year ago.  Thunderbird with extensions offers merely
everything that Outlook offers, and beyond. Still, you have access to one of
the best browsers, which when preloaded with plug-ins, can surpass Opera and
others. Think of Konqueror as work in progress that has not been recognised
by prejudiced Web developers. KDE continues to grow. Grow with it, or mature
on its side.

As regards development, one can always use Eclipse or other development
suites if KDevelop/QT is insufficient or does not deliver the required
toolset. In general, if KDE does not handle your workload, consider
alternative Open Source projects.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall SuSE to figure out the magic
  7:15am  up 20 days 21:00,  9 users,  load average: 1.73, 0.91, 0.79