Re: Linux Takes Over Mission-critical Systems

__/ [ Jerry McBride ] on Thursday 30 March 2006 04:38 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Linuxworld: Linux continues Unix bloodbath
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Even the most mission-critical, Unix-based central business systems are
>> | being replaced by Linux running on commodity hardware, according to
>> | delegates at Linuxworld 2006 conference and expo in Sydney yesterday.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1528118963;fp;2;fpid;1
>
> My all time favorite, cheap linux server hardware was the original XBOX. I
> bought so many of them that the employees at my local Walmart knew me by my
> first name... Each an everyone of the XBOX's I bought are still running
> linux... none ever saw a hint of a game dvd...

While the XBox360 can drain the budget of Microsoft even more effectively
(~$150 per unit IIRC), it will encourage developers to sidle with Microsoft.

The same tactic are employed when it comes to the desktop. Microsoft can
boast having many Windows boxes 'in the wild', but merely any Linux machine
was bought as a Windows machine. Sooner or later, the industry will wake up
and realise these facts.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | SuSE, Mandriva, Fedora - Gotta love them girls
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  7:40am  up 21 days 21:25,  10 users,  load average: 0.84, 0.85, 0.85