Re: National Archives readies move to OpenDocument

On Friday 31 March 2006 12:28 Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Friday 31 March 2006 12:09 \__
>
>> imo actions such as this will do more (even!) to further the cause of OSS
>> and hence Linux particularly than (even!) those of the E.U. etc. courts:-
>>
>> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=954149621&eid=-6787
>
> Archives must remain open. You never know what tools people will have in a
> decade or a century ahead. DRM and the BBC/Library nags crop to mind
> again. Everything should be interpretable without a commercial package.

but... just a minute... (steps back in amazement)... if everybody used Open
Standards, then the formats would be freely available, wouldn't they?
.... and we wouldn't hear stuff like "OpenOffice is not compatible with MS
Office", but rather "MS Office (or indeed, OO.o) is not compliant with The
Standard in this respect"?

... and then people wouldn't be locked into a vendor because of a format...?

... and might start to choose on quality and cost......?

... and ..... ohmygod! ... where would it all end....????

Seriously Roy, may I put it to you that (at and until that time) I saw a
bigger reaction (and more publicity) from MS re. MA and OpenDocument than I
had (to that time) re. MS and the E.U.!