Re: [News] Spyware Sponsors Windows Licences

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 04 May 2006 04:46:00 +0100
<4050862.BffRW0zGBx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Currently revolving around the blogsphere:
>
> Dell Charges $49 to Remove Their Own Spyware
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Not wanting to believe that my friend Michael would allow this garbage
> | to be installed on computers that bare his name, I assumed that somehow
> | a virus had snuck its way onto my machine in the ten minute window where
> | my computer was without anti-virus software. Sadly, Google search after
> | Google search revealed that in fact Dell is being paid to pre-install
> | this filth on their machines
> `----
>
> http://www.michaelrighi.com/2005/07/21/dell-spyware-my-way/

Interesting (and disturbing).  Is this in fact illegal
under US law?  Also, is there a way to scan a computer
*without* booting it into Windows for this MyWay
quasi-virus-commercial-whatever-the-hell-it-is?  I can
scan /c, for example, for files.

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-17311.html

indicates that the program is located, in part,
in "C:\Program Files\mywaysa\srchasde\1.bin\ deSrcAs.dll"
(yes, the blank is part of the filename) and that therefore
my particular Dell (which is a dual-boot, though that's
stretching it as it spends 95% or more of its time in
Linux) doesn't have it.  Yay! :-)  But then, this is an
older model Gx280.

A scan for deSrcAs.dll indicates that it's "MyWay Search Assistant":
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/desrcas.dll.html
and SuperAdBlocker.com suggests removing it (using their software
of course):
http://www.superadblocker.com/definition/desrcas/

And remember, it's your Dell, but it's still our info.  :-)  (And
both Dell and Ford are four-letter words, though for slightly
different reasons.)

I wonder what they do on their Alternative Workstations?  Hmm....

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.