Re: [News] Spyware Sponsors Windows Licences

On 2006-05-04, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Not wanting to believe that my friend Michael would allow this garbage
>| to be installed on computers that bare his name, I assumed that somehow
>| a virus had snuck its way onto my machine in the ten minute window where
>| my computer was without anti-virus software. Sadly, Google search after
>| Google search revealed that in fact Dell is being paid to pre-install
>| this filth on their machines
> `----

 Here's the latest report from my brother who just got a new Dell about
two weeks back. I emailed him this story and got:

--------
Dell can go to hell. Ad-Aware and Spybot found about 40 bits of spyware,
and that's on a virgin computer! Realplayer keeps trying to go online,
Explorer hates that I use another browser, and McAfee and Zonealarm work
together about as well as fire and gasoline. This is officially the last
time I buy a Windows box.

And according to that page, this little mywebsearch tool ("tool" applies
to the shithead who wrote it, too) tracks web searches and whatnot - how
exactly in the hell is this legal without informed consent? The legal
system is not designed for Internet privacy issues.
--------

 How will Linux *ever* catch up to that kind of user experience? :->

--
 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                         (313) 227-2317

 Does anyone really believe that terrorists can actually threaten
 our survival as a nation? Killing large numbers of people is not
 the same as threatening the entire country. It doesn't make sense
   to restructure our entire legal system, giving up rights and
  freedoms that people fought and died for, all to cut the odds
      from 0.005% to 0.003% (and that's generous)."  - Me