Re: [News] Microsoft's 8 Signs of Death

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 04 May 2006 04:59:24 +0100
<1251119.X0eo51K0zq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> The 8 signs and the bottom line:
>
> 1. Vista OS (...it appears to be little more than a gussied-up version of
> Windows XP. It appears as if it is going to be a great disappointment.)

gussy -- to dress or decorate elaborately; adorn or embellish.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gussy

Hmm...never had to look that one up before. :-)  I quite agree, since
all of the Good Stuff(tm) seem to have been eviscerated.  (FSVO: how
"good" WinFS and WinFX were to be remains to be seen...if ever.)

> 2. Office 2007 (...If it is anything like Notes it will create a lot of
> anguish with users.)

You'll need to explain that one, at least for non-Notes users like
me. :-)

> 3. MSN (...Why people keep encouraging Microsoft to go in this direction is
> baffling.)

s/people/Microsoft egos/ :-)  After all, it must grate on them that
they're not a monopoly in the Information Search/Retrieval Department.
(Hmm...what was the name of that character in Orwell's work _1984_?)

Google has a reasonably simple interface, although it does tend to open
up like a flower. :-)

> 4. MSN Search Engine (...Again more of the same and pointless. Selling ads.)

If it's selling ads it's not totally pointless -- to Microsoft.
For the rest of us, well...

> 5. Xbox360 (...This was an exhibition of poor planning and bad business
> intelligence gathering.)

But great success, as far as I can tell from a quickie look.

> 6. Pad-based computing (...According to Gates just a few years back this was
> to become the dominant form of computing by now. What happened?)

Darned good question, that.  Of course Microsoft is not
the only one apparently to meet failure in this space:
Momenta, GridPad, Go, Io, and maybe the Newton (though it's
possible the Newton lives on as it was famously lambasted
in Doonesbury, and in an odd twist, a Doonesbury phrasing
-- "egg freckles" -- became an Easter Egg in the Newton
OS itself):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Newton

> 7. Dot Net initiative (...soft has been unable to cope with Open Source
> except to complain about it.)

Given Microsoft's track record in software and
specifications, a natural amount of healthy skepticism
might be attached thereto.  Also, COOL looked conceptually
a lot like Java, and C# confirmed it.

> 8. Preoccupation with Google (...Now Microsoft is about to do a deal with
> Yahoo to flank Google. This old-lady-like skittishness is unbecoming for a
> company this size.)

Google is a very strong midget to Microsoft's Goliath.

        Market Cap     Yearly Sales    Profit Margin
GOOG     $117.69B       $7.14B          23.66%
MSFT     $242.73B       $42.64B         31.59%

Google also has the unfair advantage of being woven into the
lexicon, ala Xerox, Kleenex, and Frisbee.  (Xerox is a trademark
of Xerox Corporation.  Kleenex is a trademark of Scott Tissues.
Frisbee is a trademark of Wham-O!.  Google, presumably, is a
trademark of Google.)

When was the last time one was "Microsofted", "Officed", "Vistaed",
"XPed", "PowerPointed", "Worded", or "Visioed"?

Maybe they should hire Robert Bork as a corporate attorney... :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.