Re: [News] Linux to Inherit Virtualization

__/ [ Mathew P. ] on Wednesday 10 May 2006 04:02 \__

> On 2006-05-09, rapskat spake thusly:
>> On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:17:45 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Linux Vendors Push Ahead With Virtualization Software
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>                         http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/50415.html
>>
>> So now, when the host system crashes, it can take down all the virtual
>> sessions as well!
>>
>> That's some great M$ innovation, Single Point of Failure for Multiple
>> Crash Technology®
>
> Kind of reminds me of a multiple vehicle accident. You know. The kind that
> you turn you engine off and watch the helicopter land on the freeway for.
> While standing on your roof.

*ROTFL*

Again,  it's that question about layering, levels, and dependencies  which
you  choose for your system infrastructure. I sometimes have this  problem
where  one  machine  is relying on the uptime of another  or  the  network
in-between.  The  last thing you want is to include  Microsoft  technology
somewhere  in  the  middle  because, even if both ends  run  Linux,  their
connectivity  can be broken due to a Trojan, or a virus (under Windows, of
course). Common examples: Linux box communicates with a Linux mail server,
but  needs to go through a Windows firewall, router, or whatever.  Another
is  a  sequential  script that involves operation of some  function  under
Windows.

Before  the SAN over here was changed from Windows to Linux, I suffered on
an  almost weekly basis because the Windows server collapsed and make work
virtually impossible. Moreover, it needed a manual reboot ever Monday. How
much  IT  staff (box booters) did it consume? Probably hundreds of  hours.
How  much  of /my/ time, as its user, has this spend? Probably  dozens  of
hours, over the course of 1-2 years. I can recall leaving work hours early
just  because  the server was down permanently. I had to cancel  meetings.
Talk about TCO...

Ever since the Linux migration a couple of months ago, not even a quirk. I
can  never reclaim these dozens of lost hours, which are worth hundreds of
pounds (for me /alone/). Again, talk about TCO...

The Exchange server that we have in no exception by the way...

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/01/09/exchange-servers-failure/

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   McDonald's Certified Sandwich Engineer (MCSE)
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  7:50am  up 12 days 14:47,  8 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.38, 0.58