Re: Looking for a replacement for Psion

  • Subject: Re: Looking for a replacement for Psion
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 16:16:36 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.vendors
__/ [ Noel Paton ] on Monday 08 May 2006 15:22 \__

> "Zalthu" <ThisIsNotMyAddress@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> My Psion 5 series has finally come to the end of its useful life and I am
>> looking for a replacement, since Psion don't make them anymore. I only
>> want
>> something simple to do wordprocessing and data entry whilst travelling,
>> for
>> later downloading to my PC.
>>
>> I can't find anything with a keyboard as small and easy to use as the
>> Psion.
>> I have looked at Sony, Dell, Toshiba and a few others but modern Notebooks
>> all seem to start about 12 inches or so wide with considerably more
>> facilities than I need which adds to the weight.
>>
>> Can anybody sugest a likely candidate?
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>

> you may want to think about a Smartphone....
> http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,57363,00.html

I agree that the smartphones may look appealing, but how about an Internet
Tablet  with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth? The Nokia 770 will give you all of  this
with  the exclusion of PIM and some needed applications. See my suggestion
below and I suspect that what you need is a Palm(top) PDA with an external
foldable keyboard.

__/ [ Chris Howells ] on Monday 08 May 2006 14:58 \__

> I can't think of much. I'd investigate whether external keyboards are
> avilable for the PDAs -- maybe Bluetooth or USB.

For  several  years  I have happily used Palm handhelds with  an  external
keyboard.  The keyboard uses the Universal connector and has an  excellent
lifetime in the sense that it does not deplete the battery on the handheld
quite  so radically. Word processing, Internet, PIM, and E-mail are not an
issue.

Bluetooth  keyboards exist and connections to routers are obtained through
either  Wi-Fi  or Bluetooth. See the Palm Tungsten X. A second  contender,
which  suffers  from  size,  weight,  battery  and  speed  issues  is  the
LifeDrive. It has high capacity (storage/volume) however.

> There's a few subsub notebooks which are smaller than 12" but they
> aren't cheap.

True. These may be hard to pull out of the pocket however. They are no use
for a 5-second jot (e.g. reminder) while strolling down the street.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  4:05pm  up 10 days 23:02,  9 users,  load average: 0.54, 0.91, 0.93