Re: [NEWS] OpenOffice Foundation to MA: We have a plugin

  • Subject: Re: [NEWS] OpenOffice Foundation to MA: We have a plugin
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 09:02:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ B Gruff ] on Sunday 07 May 2006 08:48 \__

> On Sunday 07 May 2006 03:25 arachnid wrote:
>
>> I bet Microsoft is really thrilled...
>
> I'm sure they are:-)
>
> One (perhaps the only) major concern of the public re. the MA decision came
> from the vision-impaired.  Many (several?) vision-impaired MA employees
> claimed to have spent many thousands of dollars obtaining equipment, both
> hardware and software, which was specific to MS Windows and MS Office.
> MA assured them that they would not lose their jobs etc., and that MA would
> do everything that it could for them in this respect when the change came.
>
> The OSS is working on the problems that these people have.  In the medium
> term, there will cease to be a problem, no doubt.  In the short term
> however, this problem is yet another "lock-in" to Windows and MS Office.
> I typed "is".  I was wrong - in view of your posting, please read "was"!
> The plug-in will also no doubt ease the transition process for MA, and for
> any other organisation or individual throughout the world.  Also, how
> cheering to see this plug-in come from the OSS Community - we can trust
> that it will work, will continue to work and be upgraded, will be freely
> available, will have no licence restrictions, and will be seen to have been
> provided as such when MS were seen to be either unable or unwilling to
> provide anything similar.

Good post. One wonders if past of this entire migration could not accommodate
(financially-speaking)  the  acquisition of  new equipment. The migration is
a staged one, so even is research and  development and needed, the time  and
money it there to be used.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    X-No-Archive: No. Stand behind what you say
  9:00am  up 9 days 15:57,  12 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.38, 0.51