Re: bios password lost

  • Subject: Re: bios password lost
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 07:49:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.laptops
__/ [ Merlin ] on Saturday 06 May 2006 22:07 \__

> <pipe.net@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> my friends has lost a bios password of his notebook Compaq Presario
>> 2100. Can you help me to remove this problem?
>> Bye,
>> Fabio
>>

> I take these (amongst others) apart and repair in my professional role and
> as Roy said
> above it is not easy for the first timer.
> Try it and kill it.
>
> If your 'friend' can prove that he is the legal owner of the laptop
> then tell him to contact Toshiba who will give him or her a
> 'backdoor' password.
>
>  Sorry if I sounded like I doubt your 'friend' but I see many
> people who ask to have a bios password removed  and
> unless they can prove ownership (which most can't) they
> have to walk.

Some  would  argue  that physical access to the  machine  will  inevitably
permit  access to the date in its entirety, even if it involves taking  it
apart,  hauling  the hard-drive and planting in in another  machine.  That
said,  your point is quite valid. Removal of BIOS password can be simpler,
so you should always seek proof of ownership. Moreover, it's possible that
the  hardware, rather than data is that which the 'thief' wants to own, or
have pwned (sic).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Community is code, code is community
  7:45am  up 9 days 14:42,  12 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.45, 0.58