Re: The Adobe Downlaod Manager paradox was: Re: The MS Live Messenger paradox

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Thursday 11 May 2006 15:12 \__

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

__/ [ Jim ] on Wednesday 10 May 2006 15:26 \__

B Gruff wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/10/ms_messenger_paradox/

"Basically the NEW MSN installer wants you to close the MSN installer
to install the MSN installer that wants you to close the MSN installer
that installs the MSN inst??"

...clearly, there is a simple explanation....

screenshot available on request.

I don't quite get it...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/10/msn_paradox.jpg

The installer is warning that the installer should be closed before the user continues the install. (It "looks" like it's complaining about itself.) The user could click 'Ignore' as the dialog says and continue.

What isn't clear and what we have no way of knowing is whether another
instance of the installer is already running. That is, someone starts
two instances of the install in which case the 2nd installer would
detect the first and display a dialog like this.

Hi, Larry. Yes, I already know what you have kindly clarified, but I just
don't understand Jim's remark. I mean, the screenshot is right there...

Best wishes,

Roy

what I had done was reproduce the error message using a different installer. Just happened to be the Adobe Downlaod Manager. And yes, two instances were running (I'd inadvertantly doubleclicked the link). No paradox there, it's a case of hyperactive clickyfinger.

--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.