Re: Question About Switching UIDs

  • Subject: Re: Question About Switching UIDs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 07:40:56 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
__/ [ Michael Heiming ] on Sunday 14 May 2006 07:22 \__

> In alt.os.linux Chris F.A. Johnson <cfajohnson@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> On 2006-05-14, David T. Ashley wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My server runs a big cron job every night (as root).  I'd like some of
>>> the cron job to be run as a non-priveleged user.
>>>
>>> What command would I use to execute a command or two as an unpriveleged
>>> user?

While it's fresh in my mind, I use:

,----[ Command ]
| sudo crontab cronfile -u roy
`----

Had to do that just weeks ago, in order to fix some backup job.

>>   Put in the crontab of an unprivileged user.
>
> Alternatively put it in /etc/crontab where you can specify the
> user it will run as. Though I like this for a better overview
> more, if you have a bunch of app user running cron jobs, this
> feature isn't available on (most) other unix.
>
> man -k cron
>
> To show the available man pages about cron on your system.

I don't have the -u option on my SuSE 8.1 box. I have just come to realise
it. Among other missing feature is the (bandwidth) limit option in scp.  I
guess that  upgrades  truly have their merit and herein I find yet another
proof.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Software patents destroy innovation
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  7:35am  up 16 days 14:32,  11 users,  load average: 0.46, 0.37, 0.47