Re: Tuxmachines.org: SUSE Linux 10.1 Final Report

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Monday 15 May 2006 09:01 \__

> http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/6879?from=0,2
>
> "Conclusion
>
> All in all, SUSE 10.1 rocks. It is solid, stable, and professional. It is
> feature rich and thus lacks very little. With its new features like
> AppArmor and XGL, SUSE is ahead of the competition.

It has also got Beagle for data indexing (like Apple Spotlight and Google
Desktop). I suppose that SuSE 10 already had that though. Then come
virtualisation and consistency (minor bug fixes).

> Missing multimedia support is a major drawback, especially for new window
> converts. Its Software Manager is still demonstrating minor glitches can be
> quite annoying. The whole Software Management suite is a bit confusing with
> the separate modules with overlapping functionality.

I wonder if that part on multimedia is among the reasons why you posted this.
You asked about it before. All it involves is a few clicks, which get the
codecs installed under YaST2.

To me, one major drawback is centralisation around GNOME. There was a rant in
one of the OpenSUSE mailing list this morning -- one that I can identify
with:

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-kde/2006-May/0001.html

> The kernel is a very new version, but KDE and Gnome are already almost
> considered outdated with KDE 3.5.1 being used over the 3.5.2 that's been
> out for a coupla months and similarly for the included Gnome 2.12 verses
> the latest Gnome 2.1.4. But weighing these few complaints against all the
> features, stability, and overall look & feel & functionality, SUSE still
> comes out King of Hill. They are the top of the pyramid and the cream of
> the crop."

Ubuntu is easier for newbies. It's also makes installations slightly easier,
in my opinion -- for distro and package alike.

Just my opinion,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Ballmer - Chair! Exectuive! Incoming!!!
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  9:50am  up 17 days 16:47,  8 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.34, 0.45