Re: Guess the O.S...

  • Subject: Re: Guess the O.S...
  • From: Bobbie <bobbie4(remove-this)@shaw.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 20:58:29 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
While performing an interpretive dance to Enya's Carribean Blue, Roy
Schestowitz exclaimed:

> __/ [ Da'Punk-A ] on Friday 19 May 2006 17:28 \__
>
>> I went to an optician's today to have my eyes tested.  I needed new
>> glasses, so I chose some frames.  I stood at the counter while the
>> assistant typed my details into the computer.  A look of annoyance
>> passed over her face, and she said sorry, the computer was "playing up"
>> and she needed to switch it off and restart it.
>>
>> I asked if this was a common occurrence.  Alas yes, she said, but the
>> reboot would sort it out.  I then asked what operating system it was
>> running, just to confirm the prejudiced assumption that had sprung to
>> my mind.  I was right.
>>
>> Can anyone guess what the O.S. in question was?  A clue: if the reboot
>> hadn't worked, she would probably have needed to throw a chair at it.
>
>     How to fix your Windows Application when it doesn?t work:
>
>       (1) Stop and start the program
>        (2) Log in and log out again
>         (3) Reboot the machine
>          (4) Reinstall the application again
>           (5) Reinstall the operating system
>            (6) Dance naked around the machine, waving a rubber chicken
>             (7) "Take your machine back for servicing"
>                 - Chris Wedgwood
>
> To be less sarcastic, I failed to find an article which speaks of optician
> stores where GNU/Linux is now used exclusively. I saw it in the news some
> months back. Anyway, here's something related which I came across in my
> unsuccessful search:
>
> http://jamesthornton.com/linux/LinuxFocus/English/January2001/article145.shtml
>
>         Developing Linux tools for an Opticians shop
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

Funny where Linux is showing up these days. At the hospital where I work
each O.R. has a lighting contol panel for controlling the surgical
lighting. Each control panel has a 256 X 256 graphical display. When the
power is interrupted to the unit to allow for a bulb change, guess
what the first lines of text are on the display when the power is restored.

Bobbie the Triple Killer is at http://members.shaw.ca/bobbie4/index.htm
Today's posting comes via the numbers 0 & 1, Suse 10.0 and Pan Newsreader.
http://www.opensuse.org/Download