Re: US military is blocking Slashdot and SourceForge.net

On 2006-05-19, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> __/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Friday 19 May 2006 12:40 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> __/ [ Tim Smith ] on Friday 19 May 2006 05:39 \__

>>> It doesn't say so explicitly, but it's a matter of putting 2 and 2
>>> together. It is evident that the US Military perceives free software as
>>> 'advrse to its interests'. The mind boggles. How much OSS does the US
>>> Military actually use? I know for a fact that they use it (yay). To take
>>> and then not only refuse to give in return (boo), but to ridicule and
>>> suppress too???
>>>
>> Roy,
>>
>> I think you're looking at this the wrong way.  The Military needs to
>> tightly control what software is used on it's computers, so they have a
>> policy that people cannot install other software.
>>
>> That is perfectly reasonable.
>

> But _slashdot_? It seems like they discourage workers from being exposed to
> 'that other philosophy/paradim'?

It could just be a block put on by somebody who has no idea what it is.
The person responsible for maintaining blocks may have only a passing
notion of what any of them are.

That's one of the things I ran across repeatedly in my 20 years of
working with the Air Force (directly) and other branches. They often
have people responsible for things for which they don't have a full
understanding of what it is they're responsible to do.

In the case of the Air Force it could be someone who isn't too good in
one area being given a job in another to keep them out of the way and
keep them harmless. Or even somebody who knows somebody and got into
the job they like despite knowing little to nothing about it.

--
Experience is what you have after you've forgotten her name.
  -- Milton Berle