Re: US military is blocking Slashdot and SourceForge.net

  • Subject: Re: US military is blocking Slashdot and SourceForge.net
  • From: Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 16:47:51 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In article <1492158.IZv5QGcqk9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> It doesn't say so explicitly, but it's a matter of putting 2 and 2
> together.  It is evident that the US Military perceives free software as
> 'advrse to its interests'. The mind boggles. How much OSS does the US
> Military actually use? I know for a fact that they use it (yay). To take
> and then not only refuse to give in return (boo), but to ridicule and
> suppress too???

Riducule and suppress it?  There's no sign of any of that in the article,
either.  The military, and most large and a lot of small companies, too,
need to control *what* software is on their computers.  There are two
reasons for this:

(1) For the non-free software they use, they need to make sure they are
following their licenses.

(2) They need to avoid accidental dependencies.  For example, suppose I
found a nifty, free, tool that converted Perl code to C code, and so the C
code I produce for a project all actually comes from Perl.  Sometime down
the road, it might come as a great surprise when someone else needs to work
on my code to discover that it is Perl.

--
--Tim Smith