Re: US military is blocking Slashdot and SourceForge.net

  • Subject: Re: US military is blocking Slashdot and SourceForge.net
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:44:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Tim Smith ] on Friday 19 May 2006 05:39 \__

> In article <1147986601.529494.293420@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Seems that free software is subversive.  Quote:
>>
>> --------------------
>> AFI 33-129, dated February 3, 2005, covers "Web Management and Internet
>> Use." Among other things, it specifically prohibits the downloading of
>> "freeware/shareware or any other software product without Designated
>> Approving Authority (DAA) approval." Since providing access to
>> free/open source software is the primary function of sites like
>> SourceForge.net and freshmeat.net, blocking access to them is
>> understandable.
>> --------------------
>> End quote
>
> Where does that say free software is subversive?

It doesn't say so explicitly, but it's a matter of putting 2 and 2 together.
It is evident that the US Military perceives free software as 'advrse to its
interests'. The mind boggles. How much OSS does the US Military actually
use? I know for a fact that they use it (yay). To take and then not only
refuse to give in return (boo), but to ridicule and suppress too???

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Double your drive space - delete Windows"
 11:40am  up 21 days 18:37,  10 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.67, 0.65