Re: Gates: Rivals Can't Match Search Integration With Microsoft Platform, Services

  • Subject: Re: Gates: Rivals Can't Match Search Integration With Microsoft Platform, Services
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:40:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Friday 19 May 2006 07:29 \__

> On 2006-05-18, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> posted something concerning:
>> Quote:
>> ----------------------------
>> ...At his 10th annual CEO Summit Wednesday, Microsoft Chairman Bill
>> Gates hinted the software giant will crush Google in the same way that
>> it crushed Netscape-- by integrating enterprise search deeply into
>> Windows Vista, Office 2007, Outlook 2007 and SharePoint 2007 and with
>> the rest of the Windows platform and also with emerging web services
>> from Microsoft.
>
> It's nice to see His Billness has a sense of humor. No *common* sense,
> but at least here's a funny bone.

Let Mr. Gates dream on. Google is not going away and his search technology is
ridiculed by all. Only the media is going willy-nilly after his
announcements, which I can see everywhere. More latterly it was corporate
search solutions, which has been available through Google for quite a while.
IBM even collaborated with them on the project.

>> Microsoft's multifaceted search platform, which includes Vista Search,
>> Sharepoint Enterprise Search, Windows Live Search and an enhanced web
>> search, cannot be matched by rivals because it harnesses other Windows
>> services such as workflow and BI.
>
> Good, now all it's gotta do is work, be pretty close to the advanced
> level that google has already reached, be faster in development than
> google so they can catch up and pass them, and finally see the light of
> day instead of existing in press releases and interviews.

Less talk, more development. Ballmer and others have been chanting MSN search
for the past 2-3 years only to be mocked time and time again. Alas, all the
good developers have left Microsoft or lost their motivation to innovate.
They also work on a poor desktop environment that discourages work. That's
just why companies such as Google will continue to reign.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 11:35am  up 21 days 18:32,  10 users,  load average: 1.17, 0.93, 0.71