Re: [News] A GNOME versus KDE Debate Revived

__/ [ TheLetterK ] on Thursday 18 May 2006 00:53 \__

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2006/05/taking_a_linuslike_attitude_to.html?CMP=OTC-0O724Z062301&ATT=Taking+a+Linus-like+Attitude+Towards+Gnome

> I strongly disagree. I've used KDE, and was happy to go back to GNOME
> after that trial.

I  have used both, but I prefer KDE. Not because it's Windows-esqe, that's
for sure. I love the power of KDE, whereas I yearn for many vital features
in  GNOME. There are a few features that GNOME boasts and KDE has not  got
implemented yet. I pointed these out in the KDE newsgroup, but never filed
a wishlist bug report.

Overall,  the 'clickcount approach' makes perfect sense to me, although it
leads  to a very _gross_ and imprecise measure. Example: when I pose  news
items to COLA, here is what I do:

Go  to  desktop 8, place focus on COLA (one among 60 or so  groups);  with
mouse  over  Knode, press "P" about 10 times; windows will usually  appear
next the mouse pointer ("smart placement" in KDE), but if they go 'askew',
they  get  recentred  on the left monitor. Now, I use my KDE  binding  for
'send  to desktop 1' (CTRL+SHIFT+1) and keep mouse pointer on the stack of
10  "Compose"  windows. Then, while holding down CTRL+SHIFT, press  1  ten
times.  This  sends them all to the virtual desktop where the feed  reader
and  browser  reside.  Then, I go to the task bar, left  click  the  KNode
windows  (all  are  grouped) and choose "Minimise all". CTRL+F1 to  go  to
desktop  1  and  begin posting items as I go along. Just pop  one  compose
window  at  the time, using KasBar (automatically hiding, tiny  icons,  no
grouping) or the taskbar, which requires 2 click due to grouping.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Othello for free: http://othellomaster.com
  5:15am  up 20 days 12:12,  9 users,  load average: 0.68, 0.51, 0.42