Re: Sun Commits to Open-Sourcing Java

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Actually, to some extent, I tend to agree with you on that one. There is not
> much to be gained, from developer's perspective, from such Openness.  Having
> said that, you will soon have good arguments for snatching PHP developers to
> your side. There is a gentle point of balance there...

Heck, they'll always be welcome! There's more to life than webapp
scripting, you know....

Given the ranks of PHP people, perhaps they'll need to move JavaOne
(purportedly the world's largest annual developer conference)  to a
larger building ;-)

On that note, it seems like JavaOne attendance is slowly going up after
the disastrous JavaOne 2002, right after the dotcom bust in 2000/2001.

JavaOne Attendance:

1996 6000
1997 10000
1998 14000
1999 21000
2000 25000
2001 19000
2002 12000
2003 12000
2004 14000
2005 15000
2006 ?

Preliminary word is that it's completely packed today, between 15000
and 20,000...but who knows?