Re: Sun Commits to Open-Sourcing Java

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Wednesday 17 May 2006 06:24 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Sun further commits to open source Java
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> |Sun Microsystems took a major step closer to fully opening Java by
>> |declaring at the JavaOne conference keynote today that it's "not whether,
>> |but how. We'll go do this." So said new Sun software chieftain Rich Green
>> |to new CEO Jonathan Schwartz of making Java "open source" before a huge
>> |live audience of Java developers and supporters.
>> |
>> |"We will open source Java, we just need to figure out how," said Green,
>> |referring to his desire to foster Java specifications and reference
>> |platforms compatibility along with the openness.
>> `----
>>
>> Source: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/?p=2291
>>
>> One could could download the source from Sun, but here's something more
>> official.
>
> I'd like to see java (if it goes gnu/oss) blended at a very deep level
> with the linux OS.

I am not sure that this point makes a lot of sense. Unless, of course, you
want tighter API's that make use of, let us say, QT and GTK, as well as some
desktop environments and more services at O/S-level. This has drawbacks such
as the loss of portability (platform-specific code), but such things already
exist, I believe, in some UI toolkits. I have not programmed in Java for
several years, so I am more familiar with Java at user level and I can see
it integrating quite all right with Linux. Drag-and-drop and JRE seem to
have place for improvement though.

> I'm guessing that Sun has finally given in on the OS side.   Now, they
> should take advantage of their decision by providing a rich object layer
> to linux, an api, similar to what MS provides with Windows.

I suppose you are thinking about Visual Basic and all that lockin malarkey?

See many of today's headlines on Java's simplicity sidling with Linux,
specifically Ubuntu. I am beginning to wonder if Java will develop a close
relationship with Linux (they flirt at the moment), much like Oracle have.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - JRE will come with GNU/Linux distributions (last night's news)

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E