Re: [News] Office 2007 Baffles Users

__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Wednesday 31 May 2006 07:45 \__

http://www.vnunet.com.nyud.net:8090/vnunet/news/2157114/office-2007-beta-logs-500

>>> I guess this means it's better because it's intuitive?
>>>
>>> Right? Hello? Does anybody have an answer? Erik? Intuitive? Yes?
>>>
>>> I guess it *could* be intuitive. But it might be hard to tell if nobody
>>> wants to look at it.
>>>
>>> More:
>>>
>>>    Bradley was impressed with the new blogging feature in Microsoft
>>>    Word which allows authors to post their entries directly to their
>>>    blogs with a single click.
>>>
>>> Great. First Front Page, allowing people who know nothing to advertise
>>> it to the world through crappy websites. Now this.
>>

>> Crappy is one thing. Adverse to standards is another. Where is Larry
>> Qualig? He was part of the team that was responsible for this.
>>
>> The one-click blogging is not truly a feature. It is so simple to do
>> thorough XML-RPC interfaces. You can use your cellphone to blog using
>> WordPress (FOSS), for example.
>>

>>> Wonder what else it does/will do with a single click.
>>

>> No clicks needed. Word 2002 and 2003 are vulnerable with(out) minimal user
>> intervention. I think that the opening of E-mail is not a necessity
>> either. Speaking of which, a proof-of-concept virus exploiting StarOffice
>> macros was unveiled yesterday. That's just not how one builds a bridge.
>
> StarOffice? On Winders alone. or do others get to join in the fun for a
> change?

Sadly, no.

http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/218

,----[ Snippet ]
| Stardust.A's image loading functionality should work on any
| platform--Windows, Mac or Linux--on which OpenOffice and StarOffice run.
`----

I tracked this down after reading:

http://www.sysadmin.it/eng/news/news.asp?id=1585&titolo=Proof%20of%20Concept%20Virus%20for%20StarOffice%20Appears

This could also affect OpenOffice.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  8:55am  up 33 days 15:27,  8 users,  load average: 0.36, 0.43, 0.64