Re: New Microsoft Video

  • Subject: Re: New Microsoft Video
  • From: wd <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 13:28:51 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sun, 28 May 2006 10:37:16 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> It's probably worth stressing that many people just *assume* that computer
> viruses (virri. heh!) exist everywhere. I can never forget how a fairly
> IT-savvy guy asked me about reboots due to updates in Linux, as well as
> viruses, defragmentation (or general FS maintenence) and all that other
> malarkey.
>
> Having not watched the video (you just gave them a link),...

(oops... my mistake)

The public should be shown this video. The upbeat woman at Microsoft is
saying that Windows has over 65,000 viruses, some which have even been
created by "criminals"?  Amazing.

Linux advocates should produce a video about viruses also
(similar theme: professional persuasive spokesman/woman) --

"Microsoft claim that computers are susceptible to viruses.  A lot of
viruses.  65,000+ viruses, some of which are even created by *criminals*.

But lets take a closer looks at the facts... [explain that dealing
with viruses is not a normal part of computing, and discuss alternatives]"

I also like the AOL ads on TV: basically something like, "spyware,
viruses are everywhere... you need AOL to protect you"

If there are 65,000+ (or 100,000+) viruses for Windows, and just a tiny
handful for other operating systems, something is seriously wrong.