Re: New Microsoft Video

  • Subject: Re: New Microsoft Video
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 10:37:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Sunday 28 May 2006 08:06 \__

> On 2006-05-28, wd <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
>> 65,000+ viruses for Windows, some of them even created by "criminals".
>> This Microsoft video sounds like an advertisement for Linux and Mac.
>>
>> http://www.MYFINGERmicrosoft.com/athome/security/videos/virus-hi.html
>             ^^^^^^^^ pull my finger to watch
>
> Must be old. They passed 100,000 a couple of years ago.
>
> Yeah, it's old. Or they're more inept than anybody thought possible.
> They're explaining what viruses are to people that have probably bought
> several new computers because of getting them.

It's probably worth stressing that many people just *assume* that computer
viruses (virri. heh!) exist everywhere. I can never forget how a fairly
IT-savvy guy asked me about reboots due to updates in Linux, as well as
viruses, defragmentation (or general FS maintenence) and all that other
malarkey.

Having not watched the video (you just gave them a link), I suppose it does
not speak of Windows in isolation. When you come to think of how dangerous
E-mail, the WWW, as well as just an idle connection have become, you ought o
feel appalled by the flawed underlying design of the most common O/S. To
make matters worse, it doesn't just hurt the user, but everybody else on the
Web, in the form of link spam, E-mail spam, and DDOS attacks.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
 10:30am  up 30 days 17:02,  8 users,  load average: 2.06, 2.07, 1.57