Re: tHIS tIME WE sHALL NOT fAIL lINUX tHEIVES

  • Subject: Re: tHIS tIME WE sHALL NOT fAIL lINUX tHEIVES
  • From: William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:30:45 +0000
  • Googlegroups: Anyone posting from googlegroups is killfiled.
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:34:17 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ William Poaster ] on Saturday 04 November 2006 14:00 \__
>
>> On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 05:02:17 -0800, sTEVE.bALLMER wrote:

>> Added to leafnode's filters.
>
> I think he was being sarcastic. Have a look at the headers and the E-mail's
> domain name in particular.
>
> I am beginning to think that Microsoft's plan might be to use Novell to
> corner Red Hat through IP FUD. Then, MS will stab Novell in the back.

Quite possibly. I wonder how long these talks between M$ & Novell have
been going on, & when did they start. You say Novell's flirted with M$
since May, publicly, but could secret talks have been held before that.
And could this account for so many SuSE execs leaving Novell in 2005? Was
it Novell's intention, at some point, to have this "agreement" with M$?

> I am not too sure about Canonical because, at the time, they said some good
> stuff about Oracle and the managers seem to be talking among themselves
> (Novell has been flirting with MS since /MAY/).
>
> Community distros may be the only ones we can trust. I am leaning towards
> Debian because Ubuntu is becoming a little too industrialised. Slackware and
> others are probably not sufficiently mature and cutting-edge. Then there's
> Red hat... been an angel all along for all I can see. Too many companies
> want to take advantage of free labour. Maybe sidling with the GNU/FSF isn't
> too radical anymore. Much of what they have been saying seems to make more
> sense at moments such as this. Even Stallman's bashing of prior art actions
> and filing by the OSDL doesn't sit right. It can be used by MS as proof of
> admission or acceptance of IP. No bloody algorithm should be patentable.
> This is science, not art.

Absolutely.

> To Microsoft and the likes of them, this is money, not ethics.

IMO M$ don't care about ethics, *only* money.

--
MicroSoft's original corporate home was very interesting.
The Sundowner Motel in Albuquerque. The Sundowner was a seedy