Re: Gates STILL Mentally Isolated from Real World

"Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> TV will be shut in 10 years, says Bill Gates
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Television as we know it today will become obsolete in the
>> | next 10 years, said Microsoft founder Bill Gates.
>> `----
>> http://bink.nu/Article8798.bink
>
> This is not necessarily such a profound prognostication.
> Look back to 1997, 1987, 1977, 1967, and 1957.

[snipped analysis]

>> Previously:
>> The End of Auto Accidents?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | According to Bill Gates, there will be no more car
>> | accidents within 10 years. This is a direct statement
>> | from the software giant himself.
>> `----
>> http://internetbusinessdaily.net/?p=29
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060316/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_gates
>
> There are already mechanisms which allow trucks to travel far more
> safely in tightly spaced convoys using laser guided systems.
[snipped analysis]

    Rex Ballard and Bill Gates in agreement? Does that mean they're both
mentally isolated from the real world, or that perhaps Bill Gates
predictions aren't as unreasonable as Roy seems to think? I'd go with the
latter.

    I agree with most of what Rex writes, but just wanted to comment on
this:

> By 2017, it will probably be possible to watch any episode of any TV
> series ever taped or filmed, any movie ever produced, and videos
> provided as marketing materials to prospective customers searching for
> specific information.  You will be able to search for programs on a
> particular topic, and receive advertizing consistent with the product.
> This is what made YouTube such a big buy.  Google was thinking down the
> road 5-10 years, a luxury that most CEOs don't have.

    I don't think any episode of any TV series ever taped or filmed will be
available. Some of the stuff is already irreversibly lost forever. But I
*am* looking forward to the day we have a giant global media archive, and I
do think it'll happen within our lifetimes.

    - Oliver