Re: [News] Microsoft's Memory Requirements Myth Busted

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:59:46 +0000
<13073277.vPxZfx4E9k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Microsoft Windows Is A Greedy Memory Hog, The Cure Is To Feed It RAM

Wait....how is the cure for Windows being a greedy memory
hog feeding it more RAM??  That's like telling an alcoholic
that the cure to his problem is to drink more.

My brain is beginning to hurt.

Of course a lot of performance issues can be mitigated by
increasing RAM.  RAM, after all, takes a few microseconds
to scan through a page of memory (typically 4k), whereas
a disk drive will require a a few *milliseconds* to load
that same page, because of a combination of head seek,
drive latency, and the simple transfer of data.  Once one's
system starts to do the swap thing, expect performance to
take a swan dive, though ideally it would degrade gracefully.

ObLinuxPlug: Since Linux has excellent file caching, one
can also improve performance for software development
and gameplay by feeding RAM; the first load of a file
(say, C/C++ #include files) then gets cached into RAM and
subsequent invokes of the compiler that need that file
will be able to read it must more quickly.  And of course
cached files in gameplay can be more quickly loaded also,
so that one can get back to the important task of fragging
enemy combatants, killer robots, squidgy alien bug-eyed
monsters, space rocks, cute fuzzy bunny rabbits, ...

Oh, wait, did I say bunny rabbits?  Never mind. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux sucks efficiently, but Windows just blows around
a lot of hot air and vapor.