Re: [News] Windows EULA Modified - Further Restrictions Added

  • Subject: Re: [News] Windows EULA Modified - Further Restrictions Added
  • From: Robert Newson <ReapNewsB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:49:30 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

If you buy a version of Windows NOT tied to any hardware, how can they
legally tell you what hardware you can and cannot run on?

Quite easily: they can licence their software under whatever terms they want; and if that includes "You may only use this computer on one computer, ever", then so be it. However, such restrictions to be valid must be made known /BEFORE/ completion of the sale?

I'm sure MS would not be happy if you sold them a car, and then after they had paid for it, for you to tell them, "Oh, by the way, you can only use this car if you adhere to a maximum speed of 10 mph." I'm sure they'd tell you where to get off...

Don't like it?  Then don't use their software.