Re: [News] Microsoft Awarded Adware Maker

> __/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 11 October 2006 21:19 \__
>

>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> Microsoft getting nuts! Awarding adware makers
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> its
>>> award
>>> hijacking.
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://bloggism.net/?p=109
>>
>>     Isn't it obvious how unfair this criticism of Microsoft is? Some guy
>> wrote what seemed like valuable software. Microsoft praised them. Turns
>> out
>> the guy also writes malware. Microsoft chatises them. From this, how does
>> one deduce that "Microsoft rewards malware makers, spammers"?
>>
>>     That's like saying SUSE condones murder, because they use ReiserFS,
>> as
>> the creator of ReiserFS is accused of murdering his wife.
>
> Firstly, see my subject line. It was by no mean deceitful.

    I was complaining more about the author's phrasing than yours
("Microsoft rewards malware makers, spammer" being a slight modification of
the last phrase in the quote).

> Secondly, Novell had adopted ReisterFS /before/ that _possible_ incident.
> Microsoft awarded a guy /after/ he had done something wrong, which is
> negligent. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, but bear in mind that
> it's pressure from the blogsphere that probably compelled MS to retract
> the
> award.

    Yes, this is completely right. Microsoft rewarded the guy /after/ he had
done something wrong. But the way the author described it, it sounds like
Microsoft rewarded the guy /because/ he had done something wrong. I've no
doubt that the blogsphere compelled MS to retract the award. I can easily
imagine it went something as follows:

MS: Let's award this guy for creating useful software.
Blogsphere: LOL!!1! this guy is a spammer, MS is teh stup1d.
MS: Whoops. Our bad. We're retracting the award.

    My point is that it's an honest mistake that anyone could have made.
Very few people are saints (in the non-religious sense), and have done
something wrong at some point in their life. It's fallacious to assume that
just because you praise someone for a specific action, you are also
implicitly praising all the "bad" things they've done.

    - Oliver