Re: IE7 not even out, FF already playing catch up!

  • Subject: Re: IE7 not even out, FF already playing catch up!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:07:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Phil Da Lick! ] on Wednesday 11 October 2006 14:36 \__

> OK wrote:
>> "Firefox 2.0 features improved tab management functionality inspired
>> by concepts from Internet Explorer 7"
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/firefox2-rc2.ars
>>
>> Hehe... OSS got a tail light, FF "innovates" again.
>>
>> No surprise, if you know that Microsoft *invented* tabbed browsing (MS
>> Document Explorer, the help viewer engine of Visual Studio, used tabs
>> to view multiple HTML pages since 2002 at least, that is, two full
>> years before FF 1.0 was released)
>>
>> Something sorely missing from FF 2.0 are the quick tabs, a bird-eye
>> view of all open web pages, a *lovely* feature pioneered by IE7.
>
> Great. When IE manages security pretty well give us a shout. Then we'll
> gently explain that this was a feature sorely missing from IE and
> "borrowed" from FF.

Quick tabs: see the gazzilion of Firefox tab-related extensions, as well as
Kasbar and various XGL plugins at O/S/DE-level.

About security:

http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-6034054.html?part=rss&tag=6034054&sub...

,----[ Quote ]
| "But browser testers may already be at risk, according to security
| researcher Tom Ferris. Late Tuesday, Ferris released details of a potential
| security flaw in IE 7. An attacker could exploit the flaw by crafting a
| special Web page that could be used to crash the browser or gain complete
| control of a vulnerable system, Ferris said in an advisory on his Web site.
| Microsoft had no immediate comment on Ferris' alert."
`----

I have yet to see a Firefox bug that will permit my box to be compromised.
And, no, that 'joke' from the Microsoft-sponsored conference was merely a
hoax. One wonder why it took /days/ to retract that FUD. Given what we
currently discover about SCO's funding, I would not at all be surprised if
Microsoft was involved in the Firefox slander. One big stinkin' libel.
Somewhere else I read that the Apple Wi-fi vulnerability hoax was also
presented in a Microsoft-sponsored conference. To make matters worse, those
crackers who made the claim, I suspect, are currently on Microsoft's
payroll. It's all one big FUDerama, sponsored by the world's next Enron.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Disk quota exceeded; sig discontinued"
Tasks: 134 total,   1 running, 131 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie