Re: Wingdongs won't start

__/ [ Andrea ] on Wednesday 13 September 2006 02:14 \__

> On 2006-09-13 00:34, * Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> Good choice. I use kwrite many times a day. My favourite editor. Also
>> consider using Kate, which augments the functionality of Kwrite by
>> embedding it in a pane. For something that involves formatting, consider
>> LyX or Kile. OpenOffice is for those who insist on doing things in
>> reverse. Working on layout to generate a description rather than describe
>> content. Who is responsible for all of these misconceptions anyway. LyX
>> sits somewhere in the middle as it permits you to embed TeX and forces you
>> to incorporate structural semantics (via drop-down menu).
>>

> lol! Seem like rather sick idea. Like using a cannon to hunt a sparrow.

Have you had the chance to see LyX? It is easier to use than Writer, or even
Word. And the benefits of having a document with structural information is
that you can change styles (templates, class) and stay with a perfectly-fine
document. It's the difference between using Dreamweaver and coding with CSS.
Professional sites that are standards-compiliant (accessible among other
factors), as well as search engine-friendly, are simpler. And they are not
built in the form of reverse engineering -- from layout to code. LyX gives a
nice front end, so you never get your hands 'dirty' with code. Macro-based
editors like WinEdt achieve something similar. Have a look at lyx.org.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz